Friday, July 10, 2009

Granny

I got a call from Granny while we were at Emmy's baptism reception. It was Sunday and she sounded very weak on the phone. She was calling to say goodbye. Granny had been sick for several months and it had become evident over the past few weeks that she would not be with us much longer. Still, it seemed sudden. I don't know if a person is ever prepared to say goodbye. I didn't think I'd get to talk to her again or see her for that matter, but I called her again that evening and talked for a couple minutes. She wanted to know that we were doing okay. She was concerned how Andrew was fairing with the failing economy. I let her know that we were doing just fine. Then she let me know that she had hoped to see Benjamin again. So with that, although I didn't need any convincing, I made plans to leave the next morning for San Antonio with Benjamin. Andrew stayed home with the girls that Monday.

I am so grateful that I was given the gift of that day with Granny. She was at a hospice care center by that time. When I got there she was talking with the chaplain from Fort Sam Houston, Fr. Joe. What an amazing ray of sunshine he was in that room. I sat down on the other side of her bed and just listened to her. She wanted to be sure that we all knew that there was only one way in life, that being a life in Christ. We were able to reassure her that she had made that clear by the way she lived. She asked several times where Benjamin was and I brought him over to the bed for her to see. I know that Benjamin won't remember that visit, but I will never forget it. It was so hard to say goodbye that night. I felt sure that it was indeed the last time I would see her.

Granny went home to be with her Heavenly Father the following day, March 25th. She lived an incredible 92 years. I miss talking to her and seeing her when we visit San Antonio and it breaks my heart to know the hole she has left in our family. It's hard to think about all that she's taken with her...her wisdom and all her memories. Even so, we have a new saint in heaven inspiring us to do more for God's kingdom.


I love you so much, Granny and we'll miss you more than words can express.

1 comment:

Kier's Serendipity said...

Ann, I am so sorry for your loss. She truly had her loves in her life...God and her family. What a blessing.